Frequently Asked Questions
How safe is it to process my documents online and share them without meeting a notary in person?globalcustomerservice
Notary24 protects your information from loss and unauthorized disclosure. Every document you upload for notarization is stored on an offsite server. Notarized documents are kept in password-protected cloud storage and are accessible anytime, either by you or someone you've authorized.
If Notary24 is unable to notarize a particular document, will I be charged?globalcustomerservice
No, Notary24 will only charge a fee for successful notarizations. If we are unable to process any document, the session will be terminated and the payment will be refunded.
Is online notarization secure?globalcustomerservice
At Notary24, our priority is the safety and security of your information. We utilize world-class security, with all audio & video encrypted at REST. Stored documents are encrypted and stored via AWS. In addition, we utilize the latest 256-bit SSL when processing all stored information.
Is there a limit to the number of pages a document can have?globalcustomerservice
We have no restrictions on the number of pages in a document.
Is there an age requirement to have a document notarized?globalcustomerservice
The minimum age to use our services is 16 years old.
What are the acceptable forms of ID that I can use?globalcustomerservice
In general, the following forms of identification are acceptable as long as they are valid and unexpired.
- National ID (EU only)
What are the benefits of online notarization?globalcustomerservice
Online notarization benefits the entire notarization industry. It is safer, more secure, and has a more thorough record than in a traditional notarization.
A standard notarization requires individuals to appear physically before a notary public where they must demonstrate proof of identity, sign (or acknowledge their signature on) a document, and, if their document requires a sworn statement, be placed under oath.
Online notarizations are very much the same, with the following additional benefits for the digital environment:
1) your requirement to appear in person before the notary is accomplished via a live audio-video call between you and a notary.
2) you and the notary complete your respective portions of the document electronically
3) in lieu of a physical stamp, the notary’s electronic seal and digital certificate are attached by the notary to your document. When complete, you may print your notarized document or share it via electronic means.
Notarization enabled by Notary24 offers other significant advantages that validate and secure your document. The notarial session is recorded to protect against identity theft and to create a secure record of the entire process. In accordance with governing statutes and rules, Notarize attaches a security certificate to each notarized document. This certificate makes the document “tamper-evident,” so that the document then indicates if any subsequent change has been made to it. The digital certificate is unique to each notary and is part of the tools used to confirm the validity of the document and the authority of the notary public.
What are the hours of operation?globalcustomerservice
The services are available 24/7, all year round. No matter what your location and time zone is, there is always a notary available online!
What are the system requirements for online notarization?globalcustomerservice
To use Notary24, all you'll need is a device, like a tablet, phone, or computer, with internet access, a microphone, and a camera.
What categories of documents can be notarized online?globalcustomerservice
Just about every document which needs to be notarized in the "paper world" can be electronically notarized online using the Notary24 platform, with a few exceptions.
Examples of documents that notaries on our platform will not be able to notarize for you include:
- The document is dated later than the day of notarization, or is backdated.
- The signer cannot be positively identified.
- The document is missing pages or sections.
- The document is blank.
- A signer appears confused or mentally incapable of understanding the transaction.
- If the notary thinks or knows the transaction is illegal, the notary may not proceed with notarization.
- The signer is unwilling to swear or affirm the contents of the document (for notarizations that require an oath or affirmation).
- The signer shows indications of being coerced to sign.
- The document is a copy.
- The document in which the notary has a beneficial interest.
- The document containing pictures of children.
It's always best to check with the party that requires the notarized document to make sure that online notarizations are acceptable.